Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I'm beginning to see

Now that I'm a parent, I'm starting to understand the emotions of a parent.
Like, I watch other more experienced parents, with children who wander from what they have been taught, and how they handle their kids. Some kids go to extremes. And it hurts, the parents hurt, because they know the ultimate outcome for that child. It hurts even more, when they say, "I love you" right after an act (whether small or big) that would never have been appropriate when they were small.
Do they really love their parents... really? When they purposely love themselves and other things more? They must not understand what it is to be a parent. I don't think that love is comprehended. In a way, they are still small children, out on their own. There is no describing the depth, width, and length of a parents love. A child without that expericence, just doesn't comprehend it.
In a kids mind, all they know how to do is think about "me". Caring about other people, is something that is learned along the way. I guess it's just the nature of human beings. We all struggle with it. On the flip side, a parent may want a child to do something, not for the child, but for themselves. Usually, there is praise envolved for both parties.
Back to my point though; being a parent brings the greatest joy and the greatest pain to individuals who experience it. God made it that way on purpose. My guess, is that it's His way of teaching us what it feels like to be Him, in some very tiny way. How often, does He have a child purposely do something that hurts him, and then turn around right after and say, almost laughingly, "I love you." I love what God does with those children. He loves them enough to be patient, and let them face the natural consequences of those actions. He's there for advise, if the child is ready to listen, but ultimately, that child is left to themselves to learn for themselves.
I personally, havn't gone through that yet. My kids are to young. I am, however, grateful for my parents who can guide me through it, when my kids do hit the age of accountablilty. Even if they are not there, I'm grateful for the examples they are now.
Strong families, strong marriages, and strong faith are needed now more than ever. I'm glad that I'm a parent; and I'm glad for the experiences of others who teach me how to be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Best Thing

The Best Thing
Family