Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Love

I was reading in the Book of Mormon this morning, where Mormon is writing a letter to his son Moroni about the affairs of the Nephites before thier nation gets destroyed. A phrase caught my attention. It said, "and they have lost their love one towards another."
I guess this just hit me. What is a nation without love, or any good affection towards eachother? That's what the adversary wants, isn't it? To mute out all good feelings, and replace them with feelings that would make us destroy one another. How close are we to that today? What is replacing our affection towards one another? Selfishness, our inability to admit fault and apologize. We are easily offended, are quick to argue, and love to pick out everybodys faults but our own. If we do obsesivley pick out our own faults, that could be considered selfish as well: what is the reason we do that anyway?
Which, brought me to another thought. The Nephite nation was destroyed, because of "anger and revenge." In other words: they justified their own wickedness. They didn't say, "I forgive you even though you hurt me badly." They didn't say,"This has to stop, or we'll all be destroyed." Common sence was muted, because of justification.
They commited the grosses of sins as "a token of thier bravery." Bravery... how easily can something good be twisted into something so evil. Sin is not brave; sin is not a means for being an intellectual, sin will not always be glamerous. And yet, somehow in our minds, we're tricked into believing it is. I hope we don't excuse ourselves away into everlasting misery.
When that nation was destroyed, how many of them said, "I'm to busy to change? I'm to far gone to turn back? Other things are more important right now?" or maybe even, " I don't want to change. This is my life, and I'm in control of it."
I wish the people of our day could understand, even a little, how thin a thread we are treading on. I just wanted to throw that out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Best Thing

The Best Thing
Family